Los Levantadores – A Culture of Fit, Hard-working Men
I recently watched an awesome documentary put out by Rogue Fitness titled “Levantadores – The Basque Strongman.” It’s only about 30 minutes – I think it’s well worth your time.
My good friend and fellow strongman Jared Zimmerer posted about it and shared many good thoughts (click this link or the photo above for his post), so I’m going to point you to his post instead of simply repeating everything he’s already said. What I will write about to catch your attention are the following points:
- I am highly intrigued by the father-son relationships that take place in this culture of the Levantadores. The fathers pass on the lifestyle of being a strongman, which means much more than simply how much a man can lift.
- These men are not only strong, they are determined, exude perseverance, and are faithful. Without knowing these men personally, able to watch them, and judge their daily actions, it’s clear to me that they are tending towards virtue.
- At the heart of this culture is faith and family.
- Their culture isn’t self-serving or self-centered… they are united in common bond, for the greater good, and the improvement of one another.
- Their strength is incredible.
- Their fitness is functional, meaning that it’s usable and they use it! This is what I strive for with my workouts through CrossFit. Functional fitness for a healthy lifestyle.
Here’s the video. Enjoy!
After you watch the documentary, please send me your thoughts on social media comments or via email. Dave@TrueManhood.com.