A TrueMan’s Marriage – Happy 50th Dad & Mom!
I’ve had a front row seat to one of the greatest marriages in the history of time. Today, my parents celebrate 50 years of marriage! A tremendous feat! I’m extremely proud of my parents and want to publicly acknowledge their love, their sacrifice, and their unfailing commitment. You make me better, you aid my marriage, and I am so grateful for you.
I’ve written (and moreso, spoken) about my Dad on many occasions. He’s an amazing man, and is/was a leading example for me in my pursuit of TrueManhood. He has tons of characteristics that I love and admire, and I wouldn’t be half the man I am today if it wasn’t for him. Here are some of the major highlights:
- My Father loves my Mother unconditionally; everything he does is directly related to my Mother’s well-being, her concerns, her likes, her desires. His example of how a man cherishes his wife is second to none. #awesomehusband
- My Father serves my Mother unfailingly. For the entirety of their marriage, my Father has worked his tail off so that my Mother could have safety, security, comfort, and so that she would be able to do what she was created for. #whenamanlovesawoman
- My Father is the consumate gentleman. As a child, the example of being a gentleman was constant from my Father. My virtues related to being a gentleman (mostly in the area of Justice) is 100% correlated to my Father’s behavior and high standards. #gentleman
- My Father cherishes all women. Sincerely, my Father has a heart of service towards the fairer-sex… never failing to serve a female, no matter what the need may be. He’s always polite, always charitable, always deferent to the women he encounters. I cannot recall, even once, when I’ve seen my Father choose himself over a woman. He has always cherished my aunts and female cousins (there were far fewer of them than male cousins), and treated every female stranger with the utmost respect. #womenarethecrownofcreation
- My Father is a hard worker. Still today in his 70’s, with both knees repaired and a major back surgery, my Father does his own maintenance on his house, takes care of his vehicles himself, serves in numerous ways at his parish, helps me and my brothers, and serves on a non-profit board. The spirit of our bluecollar family, passed down from generation to generation, comes to me from him. #hardworker
I would also be remiss, especially on this most somber of days for America (9/11), if I didn’t mention my Father’s 30-year career serving our country as an enlisted serviceman in the United States Air Force. 30 years! Talk about dedication.
My Mother – I certainly don’t want to leave my Mother out of the conversation… and in fact, I couldn’t talk about my Father without talking about my Mother as well. She is a huge part of my Father’s character. From the moment they met, my Mother has challenged my Father to be who he is. She brings the best out of him, and holds him to the very highest of standards. It wouldn’t be a shock to tell you that their complementarity is so perfect that they make each other more holy; the point of marriage! The perfect way that my Mother fits my Father, and returns his love and service with more love and service, is a testament to her devotion and care for him. They truly are the perfect spouses for one another.
Jesus had Joseph and Mary – the Holy Family. I have Tony and Charlene – great examples of love, service, dedication, and faithfulness. Thanks Dad and Mom – Happy Anniversary!